Tuesday 24 May 2011

A Little Bit of Crochet...

My pride has had to take two almighty hits this week, admitting I actually quite like two things which I have teased my mum about for years. Firstly, last week I had a musical awakening to the Smiths, a band who I had mocked my mother for liking constantly and have referred to, for the last 10 or so years, as "depressing". Secondly, I had to admit that I actually quite like quite a few of the crochet items hitting the shops right now. This was particularly painful to admit as my mum and I have a running joke about just how much she loves "a little bit of crochet", much to my disgust.

Missoni's crochet items are actually quite gorgeous and they are not the only label producing crochet pieces, in fact so has Stella McCartney, Oscar De La Renta, Anna Sui and Versace to name just a few. The high street have certainly not been blind to this either, the shops are currently filled with crochet and handicraft style items at very low prices.

One of my favourite items comes from Missoni Mare, their Cadice Crochet-Knit Triangle Bikini, as shown below...
(Missoni Mare 'Cadice Crochet-Knit Triangle Bikini' available from http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/111028 for £230.)

I must when I think of crochet I do not think of swimwear, but it does work perfectly! Its gorgeous colours and geometric patterns are typical of Missoni style and are in my opinion gorgeous and perfect for the summer. The retro colours and pattern fit perfectly with the rise of 70s style which seems to be happening again at the moment, yet this bikini remains modern and stylish without being in anyway a throw back.

But if you don't, like me, have £230 to spend on a bikini, as per usual the high street have offered up a whole host of alternatives.

Whilst shopping in my local Tesco i stumbled across this gem, the F&F Zig Zag Print Bikini Top and there corresponding bottoms, available in both blue and pink. The design is certainly reminiscent of the Missoni bikini and the shape even more so. At only £8 for the top £6 for the bottoms, its very easy on the purse too.

New Look have a very similar style bikini in at the moment, the pattern is slightly different and actually reminds me of marbled paper, I really like this pattern and it is low cost at £12.99 for the top and £7.99 for the matching briefs. They also offer the same design in a tankini, although admittedly I don't like it as much.

H&M have not failed to deliver either offering a similar style in four colours orange/white/blue/purple, the top is only £9.99 and bottoms for £7.99. The bikini also comes in a variety of shapes including tie-sides and a more fuller shape in the briefs and the top comes in triangular and bandeau styles. I think these bikinis are a real find.

These were just a few examples of crochet style bikinis available across the high street at the moment, and there are certainly plenty more!

I may not have thought that swimwear and crochet would work, but I didn't believe the Smiths and I would either, but here I am writing this singing along to There is a Light That Never Goes Out.

"To die by your side,Well the pleasure, the privilege is mine"

Happy Shopping!
xKx

1 comment: